Who lived here?
Laxey Wheel, known as The Lady Isabella.
The wheel was built in 1854 to pump water from the Great Laxey Mines industrial complex. It was named "Lady Isabella" after the wife of Lieutenant Governor Charles Hope, who was the island's governor at that time. The photo shows where a rod runs along the rod viaduct to the pumping shaft where the 8 feet (2.4 m) stroke is converted by a T-rocker into a pumping action.